The insurance business can be volatile, and because of that, the life and death of an individual agency often relies on an agency owner’s ability to anticipate and adjust to changes in the market. The best way to anticipate these changes is to stay informed. After being in the agency brokerage business for 30 years and overseeing more than $40,000,000 in transactions, I highly recommend subscribing to the following resources as a way of staying ahead of the curve:
- Insurance Journal – if you aren’t already a subscriber to this important industry publication, you can at least sign up for their free newsletters. Special sections include Daily Headlines, Market News, Carrier Management and Insurance Jobs.
- Property Casualty 360 – this online service offers numerous free newsletters with breaking news, statistics, and helpful details that 130,000 P&C insurance professionals currently receive
- CNN Money – not only does CNN Money offer in-depth coverage on the insurance business, they also provide in-depth, up to the minute news on industries that impact our field.
- Getting ready to retire? We can help you sell your book of business.
- Insurance Networking News – I have made many contacts, including several clients, through this fast and free online service. I especially like their blog which features in-depth, personal perspectives on number of important topics.
- (Bonus) follow me on Twitter. It’s fast and free.
Mike Maiman, Senior Managing Partner
“It was a pleasure working with you on this book acquisition. It is always working with someone who understands the uniqueness of the insurance business. You brought a stable of good ideas to the table and were successful in keeping both parties fully engaged. Despite some ups and downs, you remained committed to a win/win solution throughout the process. I hope we have an opportunity to work together again in the near future.”
– B.J., VP of Sales for DI